Powered By Blogger

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Moving Toward Dynamic Technologies



As an instructional technologist and a scholar practitioner of educational technology, I see myself in the middle of the static and dynamic technology continuum. However, from the concept map above, I seem to have a strong lenience towards where I am coming from, static technology. I have been fully involved in the use of the static technology examples shown on the map, both on the job, as a mathematics/technology educator, and as a student, within the last five to ten years. I am more comfortable, however, working with the collaborative and content static technology tools, than I am with some of the communication tools. I have produced several WebQuests, a few videos, but less audios. I would say podcasting is my weakest link on the ‘chain map’ above. I think this is so because I haven’t had much opportunity to produce audiocasts, which I think is due partly to the teaching of mathematics. Mathematics, for it to be understood, has to be visualized by many students, so that allows me to do more video clips of my lessons than audios. When I embarked on my master of science degree in instructional technology, again, videos dominated my courses.

Since my graduate degree, I have been exploring dynamic technology, but mainly in the content and communication areas. From a content perspective, I have been involved in problem-based learning and online library research more so than I have been in the use of mind tools. As a graduate student, I used the problem-based learning strategy in some of my courses, but never as a teacher, because my current position does not allow for online collaboration, as I teach face-to-face. I have also used, and is still using online library techniques and skills to manage my research life. Mind tools have been used, but not quite often, due to my traditional way of learning. My intention is to be more independent in my thinking, thereby creating the needed knowledge, for my well-being as a future educational technology scholar practitioner. The communication tools cited on the map are well within my comfort zone. I have used them both as a student and as a graduate student. In recent times, I have using digital games in my geometry classes for better understanding of the concepts being taught. One such game is pool geometry, where the students learn about angles in a practical way online. I must admit that my weakest area on the concept map is dynamic collaboration. Virtual worlds are relatively new to me; I have just started to do my own research on this technology innovation. From the little that I know of the multiuser environment, I would think that increase knowledge in this would be advantageous. Simulation is similar to the multiuser environment, in that my knowledge of the tool is limited.

Having done several online courses in my graduate degree program, and now in this advanced degree program. I have never been introduced to the details of an online distance education (DE) program before now. I have learned a lot about the principles surrounding DE, and will be able to utilize what have received so far, as I move toward the dynamic end of the “static-dynamic continuum”. This part of my journey is crucial to my success as a scholar practitioner whose ultimate goal is to accomplish my task on becoming a social change agent.

The blogs that I found most interesting are Mike's and Karen's. Mike's idea of putting his charges first is quite interesting. We need more teachers like him nowadays. Great job Mike. With respect to Karen, the fact that she does not use the collaborative tools at this time in her classes, but 'strife for analysis, contribution, reflection, synthesis and discussion among my students' is well worth her not using these technology tools. However, I hope that some day in the future, she will tag these tools in her lessons. Keep doing what you do best, my fellow mathematics teacher.

6 comments:

  1. Hey Milton
    I noticed that you listed blogs and wikis as static. I listed them as dynamic. What was your rationale for that?
    Cheers
    Linda H

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda

    Based on what Moller said, these are in the middle of the continuum, and they allow the learner to interact with the content by analyzing what others are saying to build knowledge on that premise.

    According to him, the dynamic part of the continuum calls for 'a deeper cognitive level', and I believe that is found within one's mind set, where you don't depend on others thoughts to create your own knowledge, as in the cases of blogs, wikis, and IMs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Milton, I enjoyed reading your self reflection. You certainly have a lot of experience in education, technology and learning. I have a few difference of opinions on where you placed some of your examples. I wondered if you could give your rationale for putting tests and quizzes under dynamic collaboration, and also why online library is dynamic content. I also felt that discussions, wikis and blogs are more of the dynamic nature than static. I realize you commented on my blog about that already and I responded back to you there. I think it is great that we disagree, because we each have a different perspective. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice job, Milton!
    Others have already commented on a couple of the positioning observations I had as well, so I thought I'd ask you about Project-Based Learning and math, which I'm curious about and you mention. Do you think it would be possible to use PBL in a pure math class, or would it be necessary to make the project multi-disciplinary? I'm also curious as to your thinking behind not using PBL because you teach face to face. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Karen

    Thanks for the timeout to read and comment. I appreciate it.

    I place test and quizzes under dynamic communication not collaboration. Can you imagine, the students would have loved to collaborate on a test or a quiz. However, if you meant communication, I placed it there because the learner has to interact/communicate with 'test or quiz software', using their deepened knowledge.
    Online library is a dynamic content because the online learner research data in order to build his/her own knowledge.
    I think that I already pointed out the reasons for not putting threaded discussions, wikis, and blogs under dynamic technology in my comment on your blog, quoting Dr. Moller.

    Difference of opinions is what makes the world go round. Variety is the spice of life. Can you imagine that we all think the same way? Life would be such a bore.

    @ Mike

    Thanks for reading and commenting. I appreciate it.
    I think that using PBL in pure math is limited, a multi-disciplinary approach would be much better, as the learner would widen his/her horizon on the various subject matters. Mathematics is a deep and wide subject discipline, so as students embarked on this discipline, they ought to be very cautious, yet persistent if they are to be successful.

    In my district, which is a part of the New York State Education Department, we participate in the crucial standardized test for high school students called the Regents Examination. This exam is crucial to the students earning a high school diploma as they prepare for college. Due to this rigid exam, the teachers are forced to teach to the test, leaving no room nor time for any major experimental teaching methods. i hate it, but that's the behavior of the State Education Department.

    ReplyDelete